Thursday, September 20, 2007

Come Talk To Me

Recently, I had the honour of being interviewed by Bernie Gonzalez of IndiePulp.com. I had a great time answering Bernie's questions, as most of them made me do a lot of thinking about stuff I rarely put into words, like how did my "style" come about and why do I draw comics. Sometimes I surprised myself with my responses. Here's a taste:

BG: Would you say that most of your artwork is comic artwork? If so, then do you think of yourself as a "serious" artist?

JC: Yeah, almost all my work is traditional sequential comic book work. I definitely consider myself a "serious" artist. And why wouldn't I? Because comics are considered a "Low Art" form? I don't believe in the notions of "High Art" and "Low Art". That offensive distinction was created by institutional art critics and historians to bring an air of validity to the art forms that they had a stake in, namely painting and sculpture. Comics are just as valid and important. In terms of "Art", I'd put Frank Miller's Sin City on equal footing with Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa. Seriously.
The interview was a blast to take part in and I managed to give Bernie so much information that the interview will be broken up over the course of a couple days.
You can read the first part of the interview here.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Bernie Gonzalez said...

The honor was all mine, sir.

Bernie

September 22, 2007 1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great interview, Jason. It was also nice to see your drawing table at home - it gives the reader an interesting view of the artist (meaning you). I am totally digging those hockey curtains. Go Canucks Go!!

September 23, 2007 10:45 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Rob - Those curtains (sewn by Jackie's mom)are made from an old bedspead that Jackie bought off of ebay. It's the same pattern as the one I had as a kid! It's got some great old team logos like the California Seals, the Kansas City Scouts, the Minnesota Northstars and my wonderful Atlanta Flames!

oh, and I'm glad you enjoyed the interview! ;)

September 24, 2007 1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason-

I would have emailed this link (2 actually) to you but I didn't have your address. Check out this form of drawing. You just might be interested.


http://sketchcast.com/view/5K7AOa8

http://sketchcast.com/

September 24, 2007 3:18 PM  
Blogger Matt D. said...

I loved the New England Whalers and then the Hartford Whalers. Then they moved to North Carolina and I simply couldn't be a fan anymore--and then they will the Cup. Geez.

September 27, 2007 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home