Wednesday, December 02, 2009

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Yesterday saw the beginnings of a new way of making comics, for me. I'm starting to use my new Cintiq tablet for the rough drawing/layout steps. It's a liberating way of working in that I can "erase" my mistakes and resize/move things that I've drawn that aren't quite right. I've barely scratched the surface of what this thing can/will do for me so that I can make comics in a faster and more immediate manner.

For those interested, here is a look at one of the panels for the new Zombie Bomb short story I'm doing with writer Dino Caruso called, Zombie Night In Canada. The top image is the panel I drew with the Cintiq and the second image is the final inked drawing, done over a non-photo printout of the Cintiq sketch, using real life brush and ink. I still don't see me doing "digital inks" on the Cintiq, though. I think traditional inking is still the best way for me to retain the quality of line I'm looking for. Maybe I just haven't found the right digital tool/brush to make my marks with.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Micah Farritor said...

veerrrrry nice man, good luck with the new technique. :)

December 02, 2009 10:47 AM  
Blogger Dan Cooney said...

Fantastic Jason! Your work is great and deserve to be on a monthly title like Thor! What type of paper are you using to print your Cintiq sketches on?

Is this the Cintiq that is large like a monitor but you can sketch on?

December 02, 2009 11:21 AM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Thanks, Micah!

Thanks, Dan!
I print out the non-photo blue images onto Strathmore 400 bristol (smooth finish).
Yeah, the cintiq works like a monitor but acts like a tablet, too. It's like drawing on digital paper.

December 02, 2009 1:08 PM  
Blogger Dino said...

I like it!

December 02, 2009 6:31 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Thanks, Dino!

December 09, 2009 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home