Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Wish You Were Here

Well, it's been over a week since I got back from the beast named San Diego Comic Con. I'm still trying to find the right words for the experience. Plus, I caught a cold two minutes after getting off the plane, so putting coherent thoughts down in text has been a difficult thing to do.

I'll say that it was large. No surprise there. But, funnily enough, it wasn't as big as I was anticipating. After reading about the SDCC for so many years and hearing from everyone that it was this monster of a convention, I had constructed this unrealistic vision of what it would be like in my head. But, it was indeed large. Thankfully, I've got the legs (or maybe feet) for walking all day which made the overly physical aspect of walking that huge hall from end to end a non-issue.

San Diego was hot. Really hot. Well, really hot for a temperate zone kind of guy like me. The convention hall was a good temperature, though. The air conditioning was doing it's part to keep the smelly people from getting even smellier.

There were a few deals on comics to be had, but most of the dealers were over priced. I did find 4 of the books I was looking for: Shogun Warriors #14, #20 and Fear Agent #3 and #4. I got a bunch more other stuff, too, including the DAREDEVIL: MAN WITHOUT FEAR tpb by Miller and Romita Jr.... at 50% off cover!

I met some really cool people (I won't name names, in case I forget someone and they put a hex on me), some for the first time and some for the first time face to face. You know, the internet is a funny thing.... I've worked with people for years through the internet but only just met some of them face to face for the first time during this trip. Sadly, I have yet to meet A. David Lewis in person, and we have been working to together on comics for over 3 years!!

Overall, it was a pretty good trip. Hopefully, I'll get out to another SDCC within the next few years.

9 Comments:

Blogger The Mad Alaskan said...

WOW! How did that word balloon get so far out of place?!?!?!

August 01, 2006 3:28 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

See.... that's the thing I mentioned to you. I changed the plane so it was more in the foreground (like we talked about) but the word balloon never made the journey with it.

You seemed to think it was "close enough" at the time I brought it up! :D

August 01, 2006 5:24 PM  
Blogger The Mad Alaskan said...

I thought you were talking about a different panel!! One where the difference was like two millimeters. It's fixed now for the future.

August 02, 2006 1:26 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

HA!
It was your subtle way of sabotaging the pitch!! :D

August 02, 2006 1:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dude, I so know the answer to this one! It's Pink Floyd, title track from Wish You Were Here.

Oh, it wasn't a test?

August 02, 2006 6:55 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Mr. Dukeshire....? You're absolutely correct!

You know, I gave up saying where the song titles came from because I figured no one was interested in my little game. Knowing you were following along makes my day!

Thanks, Ed!

(I'm still using song titles for my post titles, though. I just too lazy to write up about where they come from.)

August 02, 2006 8:27 PM  
Blogger Mike Exner III said...

You ARE lazy! I demand you explain every song title from this post on, or... or... I won't read these posts anymore!

Okay, I kid. I was pretty blown away by SDCC last year, but it was also the first convention I'd ever been to, so that probably played into it. I wasn't organized enough to meet everybody I wanted to, but I did meet Jason Rodriguez (who I'm working with now), and hopefully I'll get to meet more as the years go by. I'll definitely be there next year. Maybe we can "hang", Jase. Or even... work together? Gasp!

August 04, 2006 6:00 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Well, I seriously doubt I'll be there next year. Or, even the year after that.

But, if I do go, we can certainly "hang", Mike!

August 05, 2006 12:27 AM  
Blogger Michael May said...

"...funnily enough, it wasn't as big as I was anticipating. After reading about the SDCC for so many years and hearing from everyone that it was this monster of a convention, I had constructed this unrealistic vision of what it would be like in my head."

Exactly the way I felt.

It was a pleasure hanging out with you, roomie. Maybe by the time you're ready to go back, I will too. :)

August 10, 2006 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home