Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Politics Of Dancing

Canada elected a new Prime Minister this Monday. The Liberals, who have been the country's controlling government for the past 12 years, were defeated by the Conservative Party. The Conservatives managed to obtain a minority government with 124 of the 308 seats that exist in our Parliament. So that means, Stephen Harper, the Conservative leader, will be our 22nd Prime Minister. Great.

I'm not a very political person, generally. I tend to keep my distance from politics as I think of most politicians as people with their own self interests in mind as they attempt to wrestle power from the opposition, whether from the rival party or their very own. Having said that, no Federal election I've taken part in has made me more nervous about where the newly elected Government is going to take my country. Maybe to Iran?

See, if Mr. Harper and his Consevratives were in power when America went to war in Iraq, Canada would be in there, too. Harper fully supported the Bush administration and their "evidence" of Saddam's WMD program. He heavily criticized the Liberal leader, Paul Martin, for not throwing in with our American neighbours.

Now, I read that the Bush administration might be interested in going into Iran and their WMD program....... I hope our troops have packed their sunscreen.

Last post's title was a song title from:
Blondes Have More Fun by Rod Stewart

This was when Rod was done for me.

But, my Grandma loves this song!

6 Comments:

Blogger The Mad Alaskan said...

Man, I hate it when people start talking politics. It can make personal and working relationships very strained...if not nearly impossible sometimes. And there are comic and movie and music people whose work I won't even buy because of their political crap.

Public political discussion...blechh!

More art!! More art!

Respectfully,
Kel (one of those filthy, awful, evil American conservatives)

More art!! More art!

January 26, 2006 1:24 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Sorry, Kel.

I totally understand you feelings. It won't be an issue for us, man. Like I say, I tend to stay away from politics 95% of the time..... I just felt I needed to get my Ya-YA's out about this election. I'm off my soapbox, now.

We will return to our usual broadcast momentarily!

I'll throw up the next inked page tonight when I get home!

January 26, 2006 2:00 PM  
Blogger The Mad Alaskan said...

:D It's all goooood, man. ;)

January 27, 2006 12:01 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Ah, I forget all the details but I got the general idea (and paraphrasing despite quotation marks).

Richard Feynman wins the noble prize in physics - he's rubbing noses with all the other winners when someone asks him what he won his prize in.

"Physics," he tells her.

She replies that she knows nothing about physics so they won't be talking about that.

"That's precisely why we should talk about."

Nothing wrong with talking politics, especially amongst friends. One of the problems in this world today is people taking hardlines with their part and never leaving the door open for actual discussion.

But of course, I live in DC and work for the government, and 95% of my time is arguing politics with my friends.

January 27, 2006 7:37 AM  
Blogger The Mad Alaskan said...

The problem I find is that although I am pretty steadfast in my positions I am willing to listen to LOGICAL counterpoints...I so seldom find anyone who can give me anything but illogical, unfounded, emotional outbursts regurgitating media OPINION as if it's FACT. And there are certain subjects that are important enough to me that sometimes it becomes a problem.

January 27, 2006 2:09 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Things like logical counterpoints are all relative to the strength of your beliefs BUT you are right in that too many people verbally vomit what they read in the news - on both sides.

Now we're arguing about arguing politics.

January 27, 2006 3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home