Thursday, April 06, 2006

One Thing Leads To Another

Since I got a good amount of feedback the last time I did this, I'm posting another step-by-step look at another one of the panels that will grace the Empty Chamber book when it is released later this year.
As you can see, the inked version is pretty faithful to the rough version, but there were a few changes made in the penciling stage that needed to happen......
  • The image and angle of the first monitor was changed so that it was more in keeping with the previous panel.
  • The headrest of the chair was removed so that the second monitor wasn't so lost in the background.
  • The characters' shirt changed from black to white so it won't get lost in the background.
  • A monitor from the far right-hand side of the panel, that was going to be in the immediate foreground, was removed

I needed to have the last monitor showing the "progress bar" and didn't want to sacrifice any of the first 2 monitor images ( the 3rd image had to be there, too, so I couldn't change that one). I probably would like to have had something in the foreground but it might have just made the panel too difficult to read..... so I left it, as is.

Last post's title was a song title from:
Comes A Time by Neil Young

Neil serves up a much anticipated acoustic-based album touched with his country/folk leanings. "Look Out For My Love" is the album's stand out song, for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Melrose said...

I love these step-by-step/process posts, Jason!

April 10, 2006 6:07 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Thanks, Kevin!

A. Dave and I are just putting together the official Empty Chamber production blog which will feature all kinds of things like this panel progression stuff of mine. Hopefully, you fine people will come over and check it out when we get it up and running!

As for these step by steps..... I could do one for almost every panel of the book, really. It's very seldom that the final panel that will go in the book doesn't go though a number of changes, be they minor and major changes. It is kinda fun to see the way a panel progresses from start to finish....

April 10, 2006 6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home