Friday, March 17, 2006

Short and Sweet

I picked up On An Island, the new solo album from Pink Floyd guitarist, David Gilmour, last week. I heard the title track on the radio and was impressed. It was a mix of the "new" Pink Floyd sound (ie. Momentary Lapse of Reason, Division Bell) , "old" Pink Floyd sound (ie. Meddle and Obscured By Clouds) and Gilmour's solo sound (ie. David Gilmour and About Face). It's a pretty mellow album that has it's high and low moments. But, overall, I'm starting to dig it quite a bit.

These are the albums that are on my current cd rotation:

  • David Gilmour - On An Island
  • Kate Bush - Aerial
  • Ben Folds - Songs For Silverman
  • Kyuss - Kyuss
  • Peter Murphy - Deep
  • David Bowie - Heroes
  • Simon & Garfunkle - Sounds of Silence
  • Marillion - Clutching At Straws

Last post's title was a song title from:

90125 by Yes

I'm a huge Yes fan but this was the album that first got me into them, believe it or not. The "Owner of a Lonely Heart" single was my first encounter with these prog-rock giants. I picked up 90125 based on the strength of that single and was pleased as punch to discover that the rest of the album was just as solid. Soon after, a young Jason was seen at his local record shop purchasing more Yes goodness.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Mad Alaskan said...

Brother, your playlist makes me sleepy!! :D

Just ribbin' ya. I like a lot of those artists but for me I'd have to have a little spice mixed in there too. ;)

March 17, 2006 11:48 AM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

HA!

Yeah, the music selections are a little on the "soft" side (with Kyuss as the exception). But, I'm listening to this stuff at 2AM while I'm drawing/inking. I can't listen to too heavy of stuff when I'm doing that. Otherwise, my work starts looking a little messy. :)

Plus, heavy music demands a higher volume and I don't want to wake up the wife and boy.

March 17, 2006 11:56 AM  
Blogger todd said...

jason~~

so sorry to take so long getting back to you.letting you know that i received the copy of the "empty chamber" ashcan you sent me...and can't wait to see more!
i had it here for a day or two before i actually had the time to sit down and read it--wanted to be sure that i'd have time and not be disturbed, you know...also, had to find my magnifying glasss, 'cause while i truly dug both the art and the story...DUDE, that print is so small you're gonna make me go blind! and i was hopin' to go blind for other reasons...no, no, no, i know that it's all reduced for the ashcan and will be much more legible once printed at its intended size, but DAMN!
anyway, thanks so much! i really do wanna see more and hope that you guys are finding a rhythm of working that works--i know from my own early solo efforts what its like to have a job and a dream and try to keep them both going at once. add in a relationship, no matter how understanding she is, and that's a lot of plates to have spinning at once! good luck! it looks great!
todd

March 31, 2006 7:52 AM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Hey Todd,
Thanks for the nice words about Empty Chamber! Yeah, the lettering is way too small... and it being reduced to ashcan size didn't help. The book is going to be relettered when it is released from its' yet-to-be-announced publisher! So hopefully, it won't be necessary to pull out the magnifying glass, again! :)

Yeah, finding time for the book is tough when it's the "side job". But, the pages are looking really good, so that makes all the sleepless nights well worth it.

Thanks again for your kind words, Todd! I truly appreciate them. And, I hope you dig the final product that should be hitting the comic shelves in September!

March 31, 2006 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home