Monday, October 09, 2006

Amateur Hour

Success! 24 pages in 24 hours... 23 1/4 hours, actually. It was an interesting experience. My body isn't as young as it once was, which became painfully obvious around hour 19. My right hand, my drawing hand, started to cramp up, making drawing very uncomfortable. Luckily, I managed to work through it and finished up my book a few hours later.

I won't lie or try to fool myself (or you) and say that this is a good comic book. Hell, it's not even a mediocre book. After a few pages, I realized exactly why I draw comics and not write them. Yikes! In my defense, I did this 24 hour challenge to the letter. I had absolutely no plot/story/character designs/etc in hand prior to the start of the 24 hours. I made it all up on the fly. Which usually makes for a big ol' mess. And, for the most part, a big ol' mess it turned out to be. I did manage to get a few nice pages and some nice panels on so-so pages. And, I have a great sense of accomplishment.

Will I do it again, you ask? We'll see.....

I have yet to scan them all in and get them up on my site. But, I will give you a look at one of the pages (click the image above).

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike Exner III said...

This page definitely makes me want to check out the rest of them, Jase. I just happened to catch ill right around the same time as this was going down, so all I did was wrap myself in a blanket for 24 hours. Hell, I'm still sick as a starving monkey. But it makes me feel a little bit better to know you got this done, man. Props. Mad props!

October 09, 2006 10:50 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I got some decent pages out of the 24 hour thing. But, it was sad to get such a crappy story out of it, too.

I'll see what I can do about getting the whole thing up so all you people can make fun of it... :)

Hope you're feeling better.

October 11, 2006 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home