Friday, October 28, 2005

Full Circle

Jason Rodriguez asked me why the hell I am an Atlanta Thrasher fan. Well, it's a long story that starts when I was 7 years old.....

I'm one of those artists that started drawing at a fairly young age. One of my first loves was drawing. A second first love (is that even possible?) was hockey. All things hockey: playing it, watching it, collecting hockey cards, playing table hockey, etc. A friend and I decided to combined those two passions into a money making endeavour..... drawing hockey pictures...... and selling them for cash!

He drew the players. I drew the goalies (naturally!). We used our hockey cards as reference for the equipment, poses and team logos. I enjoyed drawing the goalies, but it was illustrating the logos that I really got a kick outta. Some of them were easy(Boston Bruins). Some were to hard(Chicago Blackhawks). But one was always fun to draw. The Atlanta Flames.

The Flames became my favorite team, based completely on my love of the logo. Sad, I know. But, cut me some slack.... I was just a 7 year old kid with a love of great graphic design!

So anyway, The Atlanta Flames were now my favorite team. They would be for 3 years until, due to financial troubles of the owner, they were sold and moved to Calgary, in 1980, to become the Calgary Flames. They had a cool logo AND I could follow them on the TV. I was now a Calgary fan. I got the jersey with my name on it. I went to some of the games when they came to town. I started to collect hockey cards, again. It was a great time.

My interest in hockey started to wane by the time I got to high school, though. There were other things that occupied my time. From about 1985 to 1995, I didn't follow much hockey. I know. Freaky, eh? By the time I was getting interested again, I was feeling disconnected to any one team, even my Flames. I will admit I became a fickle fan. After about a year of liking this team and that, I latched onto the Detroit Red Wings. They had some great players and they also had some great goaltenders. But, after a few years, I realized that they were buying Stanley Cups and became a fickle fan once again.

It was 1999 when it was announced that an expansion team would be entering the league. The Atlanta Thrashers. It was like the Hockey Gods pointed their collective goaltending sticks at me and said, "Jason, We have added a new NHL team that will address all your hopes and dreams." It was like coming home.

The Thrashers are entering their 6th season. They still haven't made the playoffs. Whatever. I'm still a fan.

Besides, they've got a great logo.

Last post's title was a song title from:
Rio by Duran Duran

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

That makes sense. That's kind of how I became a Celtics fan when I was living in NY, loved the jackets. When I moved to Boston I became a Knicks fan because there's nothing more fun than cheering against Boston teams in Boston and I was already a Mets and Jets fan. When I moved to DC I realized I didn't like basketball anymore.

So not full circle. Just, like, a crooked line or something.

October 29, 2005 9:32 AM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Basketball is lame because a basket doesn't mean anything. They make like 100+ baskets in a game. So a player runs down the court and get a basket in the first minute of the game, hell in the first quarter of the game..... BIG deal. There will be 99 more scored before the game is over.

How can anyone get excited about a basket scored in the first 3 quarters of a basketball game? The only time it gets exciting is when there are less than 2 minutes left and the score is close.

At least with hockey, the first goal scored could be the only goal scored.... so it actually means something! (And I can hear people saying (sarcastically), "Yeah, a one goal game sounds really exciting, Jason.")

I've seen some one goal games. Ok, some weren't that exciting, but some of them were VERY entertaining!

What I'm trying to say is... Hockey rocks and basketball socks!

:P

October 30, 2005 8:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I stumbled across your blog and it's cool - maybe 'cause of Dryden's mask - or maybe 'cause of how your titles come from songs. Great idea!

I so agree with your philosophy on basketball...no one else seems to agree with me (you?) on this. They should just play a two minute game all the time and save everyone a whole lot oh waste!

Cheers!

November 09, 2005 9:17 AM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Thanks for droppin' by, Murman!
Always great to see a new face!

November 09, 2005 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home