Monday, October 03, 2005

It's In The Way That You Use It


Well, I'll be. Two posts in a row that have artwork from yours truly! I was trying to find some cool art to post that showed another side of my artistic sensibilities. This is the style of drawing I used to do while going to art school. Loose and messy! I love it.

But, when I sit down to draw comics, I get all tight and start trying to make things look "right". My realistic style is a way of working that I enjoy, for sure, but I long for the opportunity to draw a comic in my loosey goosey style!

Kel, would something like this suit NothingFace ........?

Anywho, I whipped this off while trying to come up with a character design for my rs153 book. Pen and ink on paper.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

I think the loose looks good AND it's faster.

October 04, 2005 11:49 AM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

Jackie - Troublemaker

Jason - Thanks. Yeah, faster would definitely be better. Although, I imagine I might have a rough time knowing when a figure/panel/page was "finished". But I'm willing to go through that.......

October 04, 2005 12:41 PM  
Blogger The Mad Alaskan said...

It MIGHT work for Nothingface....but I'm just so in love with your "tight" style I might have trouble letting go of the picture in my mind. :D

October 05, 2005 12:35 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

I hear ya, I hear ya.

I know that it's a little loose for sequentials..... that drawing was done without any pencil or underdrawing. Just me, my bamboo drawing utensil and some ink.

I can see me doing the penciling in a tight style and then loosening up on the inks. It would be close to the tight drawing but still have a looseness to it....

I could do the first couple of pages as I envision the page and then we can sit back and see if it works.....

October 05, 2005 1:13 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Just so you know, Cop-Land, I'll take pages from you if they had goddamn stick figures on it.

Just so you know.

October 05, 2005 3:02 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

:D

October 05, 2005 10:43 PM  
Blogger ADL said...

The character is great, but I'm even more impressed by your use of that little-regarded Eric Clapton gem. One of those rare soundtrack ditties that stays with you (even if Tom Cruise is in the video).

Is "When the Going Get Tough" from Romancing the Stone? I seem to vaguely remember Michael Douglas, Kathleen Turner, and Danny DiVito in the video...

October 11, 2005 12:05 PM  
Blogger Jason Copland said...

ADL - Close. That particular Billy Ocean song is from the Jewel of the Nile soundtrack.

oh the useless things I know.........

October 11, 2005 3:21 PM  
Blogger ADL said...

Ah. Thank you, Jason. I feel better now.

(For a number of reasons. Both having that notion clarified and feeling a bit more grounded in my own life due to JC's relative geekdom.) :-)

October 11, 2005 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home